By Cindy Lima
Figuring out how to remove stains from hospital scrubs is a daily battle at home. So many things happen at the workplace and one of them is stains. When you feel tired and just need to get that stain out, follow these easy steps.
Like everything else in the world how to remove stains from hospital scrubs depends on what the stain is.
Here are some remedies for common hospital scrubs stains:
- PEN STAIN: For a pen stain that was caused by a ballpoint pen. Use alcohol and a sponge in order to get the stain out. Just keep pressing the sponge on your hospital scrubs until the stain comes out.
- COFFEE: In order to get the stain out from your hospital scrubs use 1 part vinegar and 2 parts warm water. Use a sponge with the mixture press against the hospital scrubs until the stain comes out. Wash as usual.
- BLOOD STAINS: Use cold water to soak the hospital scrubs. Hot water will make the blood stain set which will make it almost impossible to remove. Rub a heavy duty laundry detergent that contains enzymes into the stain. Let it sit for 5-20 minutes. After wash the hospital scrub as usual.
- VOMIT, URINE, & FECES: This type of stain should be treated with cold water. Using a spoon or a knife to remove any solid matter. Do not use a cloth because this will push the stain deeper. Rinse the hospital scrubs before washing them.
- LIQUID MEDICATIONS: Submerge and soak the hospital scrubs from 1 to 8 hours. The longer the better. Then wash as usual.
- IODINE: Soak the stain in warm water with a heavy duty detergent for 20 minutes. Wash as usual with detergent and oxygen-based bleach. If the stain is still there mix a solution of oxygen-based bleach and tepid water. Soak the hospital scrubs for 4 hours overnight. Repeat as needed.
- OINTMENT: This type of stain requires warm or hot water. Remove any solids with an edge tool. Use heavy duty detergent and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. After wash the hospital scrubs with hot water.
Remember that not every stain can be removed the same way. Especially because you do not want to damage your hospital scrubs even more.